What is Advanced Standing?
Essentially, advanced standing gives you credit for time served in your Bachelor’s in Social Work program. You have demonstrated an understanding of social work’s basic tenets and are ready to move into the more practical applications of those theories. In some ways, it’s like transferring into the Master’s in Social Work program with half your degree earned already.<!- mfunc feat_school ->
- University of Kentucky offers its Online Master of Social Work: Advanced Standing Program available. MSW program includes options for an advanced-standing program (30 credits) and a 60-credit regular standing program. Visit School's Website
- Arizona State University offers the respected CSWE-accredited Master of Social Work online. ASU Online knows today’s MSW students need remote learning options with no compromises. That’s why you’ll find the same professors, field work requirements, and internship placement assistance that ASU provides on campus. Visit School's Website
- Baylor University Master of Social Work - Bachelor's holders can prepare for social work licensure with Baylor's CSWE-accredited MSW program online. Complete in as few as 12-16 months. No GRE required. Visit School's Website
- Grand Canyon University offers Online Social Work Degrees. Choose between Bachelors of Social Work, Master of Social Work, Master of Social Work (Advanced Standing). Visit School's Website
- USC University of Southern California Online MSW - With options for both online and in-person field placement, USC's CSWE-accredited MSW program allows those with a BSW to earn their degree in as few as 12 months. Visit School's Website
- Our Lady of the Lake University offers its Online BSW and MSW: No GRE or GMAT is required for admission. Advanced Standing available. Visit School's Website
What Are the Benefits?
advanced standing saves you time and money and puts you one giant step closer to starting your social work career. Even though you earn your MSW in half the time, your degree is still fully accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE), which is something you will definitely want when it comes time for licensure.
How Do I Know if I Qualify?
BSW recipients generally qualify for advanced standing in the MSW program if they meet the following requirements:
- A bachelor’s degree in social work from a program accredited by CSWE that has been earned within the university’s given timeframe (typically 5-7 years).
- Meet your university’s minimum undergraduate GPA requirements – this varies by college but is generally a 3.0 or higher.
- Positive evaluations from your undergraduate field experience – specifics vary by college.
- Some colleges require that you participate in a personal interview.
What Does an advanced standing MSW Program Look Like?
With advanced standing, you skip the generalist requirements and move directly into your upper-level coursework, often in a specific area of concentration (i.e. healthcare, children and family services, addictions, etc.).
Sample Three Semester Program
|Advanced Field Experience||Advanced Field Experience||Advanced Field Experience|
|Social Policy||Addictions (Elective)||Adductive Families (Elective)|
|Individual Therapy Practice||Family Therapy Practice||Group Therapy Practice|
|Advanced Research Methods||Independent Research Thesis|
Sample Two Semester Program
|Micro Practice I||Macro Practice II|
|Social Justice||Social Policy Analysis|
|Resource Development||Elective I|
|Advanced Field Experience||Advanced Field Experience|
Some Things You Might Not Know About advanced standing:
- Be sure to read all the information available on your college’s advanced standing option. Some schools have different application deadlines for students with advanced standing.
- Some universities require that you apply for advanced standing if you hold a BSW.
- Your BSW faculty and field supervisors will get to sing your praises during the application process, so be sure to stay in touch and keep copies of your evaluations.
- Students who earned their BSWs outside the US may have their transcripts evaluated to determine whether they qualify for advanced standing at some universities.
- If your program allows students to select multiple areas of concentration (say you’re interested in both criminal justice and addictions) you can devote the time and money you would have spent on your first year of the MSW program toward additional electives in those areas and still graduate on time.
Schools That Offer Advanced Standing MSW Programs Online
- Simmons College
- Boise State University
- Boston University
- Case Western Reserve
- Edinboro University
- Florida State
- Fordham University
- Humboldt State
- Indiana University
- Louisiana State
- Our Lady of the Lake
- Saint Leo University
- Texas State University, San Marcos
- University at Buffalo (SUNY)
- University of Alaska Anchorage
- University of Houston
- University of Louisville
- University of Missouri
- University of New England
- University of North Dakota
- University of Southern California (USC)
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- University of Texas – Arlington
- Western New Mexico University